The top forecasters of Colorado State University have predicted that this year’s hurricane season will feature nine tropical storms and just three of becoming hurricanes. That is a fairly quiet hurricane season prediction. Nonetheless, it is important to have your elderly parents safe regardless of whether there are heavy rainfalls or when there is a severe tropical storm or hurricane. You want to make sure that your senior family members are taking good care of.
When a hurricane or powerful tropical storm come over South Florida, West Palm Beach is one of the cities that gets hit pretty hard. There are floods, power outages, and possible debris all over the place. Here are some great tips for preparing for a hurricane, power outage, or other emergency to help keep your elderly family members safe:
- Keep two or three flashlights in areas in their home that are easy for them to reach. You can put one on their nightstand, another one on the kitchen counter, and another one near their living room area.
- Keep a pack of batteries in their drawers. Your elderly parents will need to find the batteries for their flashlights or radio, especially if there is no power.
- Keep at least one to two weeks’ worth of medication on-hand or in their medicine cabinets. If there is an emergency, they will need their medication for sure.
- Watch out for any hazardous areas, where there is a possibility the seniors may trip or fall. Worn carpeting, bent throw rugs, or cluttered spaces can be harmful for the elders. The hallways, walkways, and stairways need to be clear so that they can move around easily.
- Have an emergency plan set before a major disaster or an emergency occurs. Create a plan for a family member or friend to reach you and advise you of anything that may occur to your elderly parents.
These are all safety precautions that you should take for your elderly folks or other elderly family members. They will definitely help during this hurricane season. Another great suggestion you may want to consider is getting senior home care services from an organization like Always Best Care Senior Services in West Palm Beach. Always Best Care is an organization that offers great non-medical in-home care to seniors and the elderly. This is one of the South Florida’s top home health care agencies. Always Best Care also helps families with assisted living placement services. A staff member can go to your folks’ home and help them with anything they may need help with like taking their medicine, getting some exercise, or doing some daily chores. If you are interested in any of Always Best Care’s elderly care home services, call their West Palm Beach location at (561) 463-0390.